Search This Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Filling up at the Quick Tip: Punkin

I have another tip, y'all.

Do you over-zealously purchase canned pumpkin each fall? I do.
In a frenzy, I clean stores out of their Libby's. 
I'm like those extreme couponing people.
(but without the coupons)
When I could be spending eight hours a day weaseling 19 bottles of frigging ketchup out of the Krogers for pocket change like a champ.
I'm over here paying $0.75 for canned vegetables like a goddamn chump.

Come next season, I inevitably have a pantry full of canned pumpkin.
& m a g i c a l  t h i n g s begin to happen.
www.jsterlingart.com
[J. W. Sterling]

Pumpkin puree is perfect in summer, folks. Trust me. 
I have a ton of ideas for y'all to get all that d e l i c i o u s  n u t r i t i o u s canned pumpkin into your gullet.
Starting with a fantastic vegetable dip.

  1.  Pumpkin dip (Cold or hot!) [Just mix pumpkin puree with honey, fat free cream cheese, sunflower seeds, salt, pepper, cinnamon, whatever spices you want together & you've got an extremely refreshing and cool dip for your veggies this summer. If you want it hot, bake it a while in some muffin tins, topped with some shredded cheese!]
  2. Overnight oats (or bake them!)
  3. Smoothies [I've blended it with frozen strawberries, topped off with 0 calorie flavored carbonated water from Kroger and it comes out sooo tasty for virtually no calories.]
  4. "Frappuchino" [Pumpkin puree, sugar free pudding mix, almond milk, greek yogurt, cold coffee concentrate, ice cubes, sugar, spice, honey... you get the picture.]
  5. Pasta Sauce
  6. Pumpkin Froyo
  7. Risotto
  8. Pumpkin cream cheese
  9. Tamale Pie
  10. Pumpkin soup, try eating it chilled!
  11. Granola
  12. Crockpot chili, so you don't have to turn on your damn oven in this heat.
  13. Popsicles!
  14. In your dang pizza EVEN.
  15. And, of course, baked goods and quick breads. Scones, muffins, waffles, pancakes, regular cakes, pies, cheesecakes, bread... However, I find that baked pumpkin sweets are not quite so satisfying in summer as they are in the fall.
I used up all my extra  pumpkin  puree in baked oats, smoothies, and vegetable dip.
I might scoop up some new cans. I really want to try that tamale pie.
How do you use up your extras???


No comments:

Post a Comment