Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

Somebody Call Pesto Corntrol!



Been doing any travelin' this summer, y'all?

Perhaps you've heard of the m e g a b u s?
Massive. Blue. Double-decked.
Filled to the brim with uncomfortable looking strangers ?
Just pretend like you're asleep.
I got well-acquainted with the m e g a b u s this summer.
Blinded by the prospect of cheap travel, I booked myself an 8$ round trip to Mobile, AL.

I was so proud of myself.
I was going to meet all kinds of worldly people riding the bus. 
We'd be friends forever!
Meanwhile, in reality...

The woman in the seat next to me was wearing thick purple socks over her shoes.
She was working on a journal entry titled "25 Ways to Kill Your Lover"
It was exhaustive.
Folks, I didn't make any friends on the m e g a b u s that day.
On the ride home, I sprawled across 2 seats.
Nobody sat next to me. I pretended to be asleep.
Dejected and alone, I was cheered by one thing:

I brought a baggie of Sunflower Pesto Corn Salad & ate it with a plastic Wendy's fork, 
no longer caring whether food accumulated upon my personage. Or in my teeth.



Sunflower Pesto Corn Salad


Ingredients:::


vegetable salad:
  • 1 ear of sweet white summery corn
  • 1 cup (dry) whole wheat penne pasta
  • 1/3 vidalia onion
  • 1 medium tomato
  • 1 medium carrot
sunflower parsley pesto:
  • 3 tablespoons roasted, salted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (or balsamic vinegar--I was out for some reason)
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
  • salt & pepper, to taste
Bring to boil a pot of water, salt it if you wanna. Make the whole wheat penne boiled.
Just follow what your box of pasta says okay.

Get a large bowl to put your ingredients in. (I recommend the tupperware container you're going to end up storing it in.)
Slice the kernels off your ear of white corn into the bowl. 
Now listen up!!

yes, ma'am!
Do not attempt to boil the corn. Do not attempt to roast the corn.
I want those kernels raw  y'hear?
Okay. Good.
Dice the tomato, onion, and carrot to combine with your (raw!!!) white corn kernels.

Into a bladed chopping mechanism of your choice (I chose a blender) add the chopped fresh parsley, sunflower seeds, EVOO, cider vinegar, minced garlic, and basil leaves
Pulse it until it resembles a paste.
from [http://public-domain.zorger.com]
Delicious, delicious paste.
Drain your whole wheat penne once it is done boiling, and run some cold water over the whole thing to get it chilled out.
Combine the pasta and the paste into the vegetable mixture you've got going & add salt and pepper if you wish.





Nutrition Information
IngredientCaloriesFat (g)Carbs (g)Protein (g)
Total Recipe7833610418
Per Serving26112356

Recipe above makes three generous servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment