Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fadulous Orange Oatmeal, Ossified

Beating the heat, y'all?


I've always been a sucker for f a d s

I lovingly cultivated a home for my lifeless pet rock.
Suffered scorn for my blinding orange crocs. 

I had a rainbow fanny pack emblazoned with my name!! 
at least I never wore a summer scarf.
An improvement over the goth phase.
Yes, my addiction to  f a d s  has deep roots y'all.
Aaaaall the way back to 1990. The year they closed the leaning tower of Pisa.
I'm not ashamed!
Food  f a d s  are alright, don't you think??
I only said cupcakes so you'd like me. I actually hate cupcakes..
See also: cupcakes.

I noticed baked oatmeal popping up a while ago.
I was sold immediately. 
I was sold before I tried them. I became fiendishly addicted after I tried them.


Breakfast of the Year, All Years.

Extremely simple to make & customize, baked oatmeal  is just... awesome. It's like eating cake for breakfast, except good for you! 
Scoop some out every morning, top with nuts, drown it in milk, spread nut butter on it, or eat it warm, or cold, or with honey on top, and you're guaranteed to have a bangin' day.

Baked Orange Oatmeal adapted with care from budget bytes



Ingredients::: 
  • 1.5 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 medium navel orange
  • 1/4 cup white sugar (you could even use less than this if you want to be a super healthy goody two shoes; the sugar from the fruit and applesauce makes this dish plenty sweet. You can always drizzle it with honey later if you require an unexpected AM sugar hit)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp ginger & cloves
  • 1 tsp baking powder
Preheat your oven to  375F (190C) to get the ball rolling. 
Take out your very favoritest bowl.
Not that one.
Combine your oats, sugar, spices, milk, apple sauce, baking powder, and greek yogurt into your mixing bowl.
Stir well. 
Zest the orange into the mixture, using a cheese grater or something. I zested the shit out of my orange, like half a peel, and it came out really flavorful.
So don't be afraid of over-zesting now, dear.
Stir well. 
Pour the mixture into a smallish square baking dish sprayed with oil.
Peel the orange, and lay the slices over the top festively. 
Do not stir well.
Cover with aluminium foil, and bake for 35 minutes at 375F(190C)
Remove from the oven, and take the foil off. Bake for a final 10 minutes uncovered. 
(So the top gets browned!)

It will be fragrant and wonderful, do try to restrain yourself from eating the whole pan as it is intended to serve 4.



This version came out especially mellow and moist and cakey because of all the liquid ingredients, which the oats do a great job of soaking up. Normally I like a thicker puree like pumpkin (and I wouldn't use both yogurt and the puree) but this turned out lusciously appropriate for the season.
I looked forward to hopping out of bed in the morning to eat my wonderful baked oatmeal this week!

Nutrition Information
IngredientCaloriesFat (g)Carbs (g)Protein (g)
Total Recipe11421519343
Per Serving28644811
Recipe above makes four servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment